Module code: ML1012
Module co-ordinator: Dr Christian Morgner
The aim of this module is to provide students with the basic skills required for effective study and learning. The module will help them develop their individual learning style. Core study skills such as effective planning, time management, note-taking, revision etc will be introduced. Beyond this, the module will impart the skills necessary for conducting academic research, identifying and analysing relevant sources, and for high quality academic writing.
Teaching and Learning Methods
- Weekly one-hour lectures
- Weekly one-hour practical workshops
- Private study involving guided reading and preparation of assessed work
- Creation of a term study-plan and a 600-word review of its efficacy (20%)
- 1,500 word essay reviewing a book length monograph (30%)
- 2,500 word literature review on a selected, subject-relevant research area (50%)
No set texts. Readings will be prescribed in line with the requirements of the lectures/seminars.
Recommended Background Reading and Additional Resources
The Study Skills Handbook (Cottrell 2008)