English Text Analysis
Module code: ML1003
Module co-ordinator: TBC
This module will guide students to select and employ appropriate linguistic strategies in producing translation into and out of English. They will learn to explain their translation choices in terms of the translation brief and its purposes, and revise and/or edit their own translation. A portfolio of translation assignments along with its corresponding commentaries will be produced by the end of this module.
Intended Learning Outcomes
At the end of this module students should be able to:
- Demonstrate familiarity with the micro conventions (register) of a variety of general text types
- Analyse and use numerical (linguistic) data
- Interpret and produce information presented in graphs, diagrams and tables
- Evaluate alternative analyses of a given (linguistic) data set
- 10 hours of seminars
- 90 hours of guided independent study
The module is taught in seminars where students will acquire familiarity with the analytic categories and concepts required for textual analysis. There will be ample feedback on the exercises in analysis that form the assessment for the module, and opportunities for class-based, formative practice exercises prior to the assessed exercises.
- 3 textual analysis exercises, each 500 words (100%)