Advanced Topics in Cancer Biology
Module code: MB7004
Module convenor: Dr Raj Patel
This module comprises a series of lectures which provide a background to the molecular and cellular basis of cancer.
- Self-sufficiency in growth signals
- Insensitivity to growth-inhibitory (antigrowth) signals
- Evasion of programmed cell death (apoptosis)
- Limitless replicative potential
- Sustained angiogenesis
- Tissue invasion and metastasis
This will be followed by detailed lectures on specific aspects of cancer cells, with emphasis on growth control and cell division, genome stability and aneuploidy, apoptosis, angiogenesis, tissue invasion and immortalisation.
The lecture series will end with a series of more specialised lectures on mouse and zebra fish models of cancer, cancer chemoprevention, cancer diagnosis, cancer treatment and anti-cancer drug development.
- 34 one-hour lectures
- Essay, 3,000 words (40%)
- Two exams, three hours each (30% each)