Authors and Genres
Module code: IT1027
Module co-ordinator: Dr Marina Spunta
In this module students will be introduced to Italian literature through the study of selected works, authors and genres. Through the detailed analysis of a number of texts, they will explore the developments of postwar Italian fiction and learn to set it in its context. All texts are read in Italian and in English translation.
Students will gain an understanding of the history of Italian literature and culture, as well as some of its main genres.
- 5 hours of lectures
- 5 hours of seminars
- 90 hours of guided independent study
- Essay, 1,500-2,000 words (100%)
Recommended for purchase:
- N Roberts (ed), New Penguin parallel text short stories in Italian (1999)
- I Calvino, Marcovaldo, or The seasons in the city, translated from the Italian by William Weaver (Vintage, 2001)
- R Gordon, An introduction to twentieth century Italian literature (Duckworth, 2005)