Geography in Education
Module code: GY2251
Module co-ordinator: Dr Margaret Byron
Please be aware that school/college placements are limited and therefore competitive. Placements will be allocated during Semester 1. It is not possible to join this module at the start of Semester 2.
In this module, you'll be placed in a local secondary school or college to observe and work with a geography teacher. Over the course of the placement, you'll work with a particular class, gradually taking on more responsibility in the classroom and eventually presenting all or part of a lesson (or lessons) to the group.
- 1 hour of lectures
- 3 hours of tutorials
- 4 hours of project supervision
- 20 hours of work-based learning
- 72 hours of guided independent study
- A learning log completed during your placement in a school geography department (20%)
- A reflective report on your placement, highlighting links to contemporary debates in education (50%)
- A teacher's assessment of your performance in the classroom (30%)