Research Design and Methods (with Dissertation Planning)
Module code: GY2155
Module co-ordinator: Dr Katy Bennett
In this module you will learn how to develop a research proposal, formulate good research questions, design an appropriate methodology and recognise ethical issues involved in research. You will be introduced to key methods and techniques of data collection and data analysis which will help you conduct independent research.
- What is a dissertation research proposal?
- Conceptual writing
- Designing a methodology
- Research ethics, positionality and reflexivity
- Methods training on interviewing, focus group research, participant observation, archival research, working with secondary/large data sets, textual and discourse analysis, questionnaire survey design.
- Practical sessions
- Reflective methods essay (40%)
- Dissertation proposal (60%)