French Language (Post-Beginners)
Module code: FR2018
Module co-ordinator: TBC
This module will extend your French language skills from a beginners' level to an A-level standard by the end of the second year in preparation for your year abroad in a French-speaking country.
At the end of this module, you will be able to:
- Write accurately in French using a variety of registers
- Extract information from a wide range of written and spoken sources
- Discuss topics of general and current interest, take part in debates, and make oral presentations in French
- Work independently to consolidate and extend your language skills
You will take part in a variety of integrated learning activities set in authentic contexts, including the practice of oral and aural skills, reading comprehension, and responsive writing tasks. These will be supplemented by grammar practice on Blackboard. You are expected to attend and participate in all module sessions, having done the necessary preparation set by the tutor, as they form an essential part of the learning process.
- 10 hours of lectures
- 50 hours of seminars
- 20 hours of practical classes and workshops
- 120 hours of guided independent study
- On-going assessment: reading and writing (30%)
- On-going assessment: listening (10%)
- On-going assessment: online test (10%)
- Oral exam, 5 minutes (15%)
- Written exam, 2½ hours (35%)
You are encouraged to visit both the Library and the Modern Languages Study Centre on the sixth floor of the Ken Edwards building, where you will find a wide range of material to complement your study of the language. You can watch French TV on satellite channels and borrow DVDs of French films to view at home.
- Alter Ego 2/Livre de l’élève et CD audio by Berthet, Hugot, Kizirian, Sampsonias and Waendendries (Hachette)
- A bilingual dictionary: Robert/Collins or Oxford/Hachette
- A monolingual dictionary: Le Petit Robert or Le Petit Larousse (expensive new but often available second hand)
- Bescherelle de poche (widely available online; a useful guide to verb conjugations)