Module code: EN7505
Module co-ordinator: Dr Jim Askham
In this option module, you will consider the differing ways that language teachers can develop in the course of their professional lives. We will consider the rationale behind a range of practitioner research models, including reflective practice, cooperative development, action research and exploratory practice, and also study how to implement them. We will look at how teachers change during their careers and consider various ways that have been devised to help teachers to learn, to remain motivated and to avoid burn-out, and to continue to inspire their learners. We will also look at specific strategies and activities that you can use to keep yourself professionally alive and growing.
- Models of teacher development
- Teacher thinking and decision making
- The nature of teacher expertise
- Specific development activities, including peer observation and mentoring
- Practitioner research, including action research, reflective practice, and exploratory practice
150 hours over 20 weeks to include:
- reading course materials; reading, watching and listening to required and recommended resources
- engaging in online module activities/discussion forum
- independent study
- writing the module assignment
- Written assignment, 3,000 words (100%)
- You can combine the assessment for this module and another option module (to be approved by your course tutor) into a 6,000-word project.