English in a Global Context
Module code: EN7239
With a focus on modern and contemporary data, the module explores varieties of English from around the world, and the main models and critical debates that underpin work in the area.
- Functions of English in multilingual nations and English as a lingua franca
- ‘Ownership’ of English and the role of media and the internet
- Language attitudes
- Models for describing the use/spread of English and contemporary variation
- Features distinguishing different varieties of English (e.g. US, Australia, Singapore)
- Results of language contact situations
Assessment consists of a project (presented in an essay) based on the material covered in the module; the specific topic is selected by the student.
- 10 hours of seminars
- 140 hours of guided independent study
- Essay or independently-undertaken project, 3,000 words (100%)