Module code: EN7235
Module co-ordinator: Dr Philip A Shaw
Topics covered in this module include noun, pronoun, and definite article inflections; syllable length and structure; i-mutation; verb inflections (weak and strong); breaking; palatal diphthongisation; adjective inflections; translation techniques; dialects; metre; and linguistic analysis.
By the end of this module, you'll be able to...
- Read and translate Old English
- Demonstrate a knowledge and understanding of Old English inflections
- Describe morphology and related phonological processes
- Employ Old English dictionaries and grammars effectively in studying Old English language
- Analyse aspects of Old English lexis, morphology, phonology, and metrics
- This module is taught through weekly seminars.
- Online tests (20%)
- A 3,200-word translation and linguistic commentary (80%)