Principles of Personal Taxation
Module code: EC2083
Module co-ordinator: Lynne Howey
In this module you will study the general objectives of taxation, the types of UK tax applicable to individuals and the ethical issues arising from personal tax work. We will consider the obligations imposed on UK taxpayers and the implications of non-compliance. You will learn how to prepare tax computations for employees and investors. We will also look at how to complete your own tax return and discuss basic tax planning concepts.
The taxes covered in this module are Income Tax, National Insurance, Capital Gains Tax and Inheritance Tax.
- Tax objectives, types of tax and ethics affecting individuals
- Preparing tax computations and returns for individuals who are employed and/or receive investment income
- Identifying and describing alternative strategies available to individuals
- Critically evaluating the legal and the ethical implications of a range of taxation strategies
- 20 one-hour lectures
- 5 one-hour tutorials
- Multiple-choice test, 1 hour (20%)
- Exam, 2hours (80%)