Organic Reactivity and Mechanism
Module code: CH1008
Module co-ordinator: Professor Paul Cullis
- Representation of organic molecules using line formulae and stereodrawings; arrow-pushing descriptions of simple transformations.
- Structure, bonding and reactivity of important organic molecules.
- Mechanism and stereochemical outcomes of nucleophilic substitution (SN), elimination (E) and addition reactions.
- Reactions of alkenes and alkynes; regiochemical and stereochemical outcomes.
- Structure and reactivity of simple aromatic compounds; regioselectivities in electrophilic substitution reactions of simple monosubstituted benzene derivatives.
- 22 one-hour lectures
- 2 one-hour practicals
- 3 one-hour tutorials
- Exam, two hours (75%)
- In-course assessments (15%)
- Tutorials (10%)