Thermodynamics and Kinetics
Module code: CH1007
Module co-ordinator: Professor Andrew Abbott
In this module you will study concepts such as enthalpy, entropy, Gibbs energy, rate law, rate constant, and order of reaction. We will look at the differences between kinetics and thermodynamics and how kinetic information can be used to elucidate reaction mechanisms.
- First and second laws of thermodynamics, enthalpy, entropy, Gibbs energy, chemical potentials, chemical equilibrium.
- The link between classical thermodynamics and molecular properties.
- Thermodynamics of phase equilibria; interpreting phase diagrams.
- Electrochemical processes and how they relate to thermodynamics and analytical chemistry.
- Basic principle reaction kinetics; effects of parameters such as concentrations and temperature on the rates of chemical reactions.
- 27 one-hour lectures
- 6 one-hour practicals
- 3 one-hour tutorials
- Exam, two hours (50%)
- Maths exam, one hour (25%)
- Continuous assessment (15%)
- Tutorials (10%)