Module code: CH1006
Module co-ordinator: Dr Mark Lowe
- Oxidation states and dⁿ configurations of transition metal complexes.
- Common types of ligand and methods of complex preparation.
- Bonding in transition metal complexes: ionic models (crystal field theory) and covalent models (molecular orbital theory).
- Crystal field stabilisation energies.
- Magnetic and spectroscopic properties of transition metal complexes.
- Geometries of complexes; molecular distortions and isomerism.
- Complex nature of ions in solution; thermodynamic and kinetic stability.
- 22 one-hour lectures
- 2 one-hour practicals
- 3 one-hour tutorials
- Exam, two hours (75%)
- Mid-term assessment (15%)
- Tutorials (10%)