MBiolSci Research Project (Chronic Disease and Immunity)
Module code: BS4317
This module provides the opportunity to gain highly valuable laboratory work by undertaking a 6 month research project placement within the Department of Infection, Immunity and Inflammation, or a research laboratory within the College. You can choose a research project that is in line with your interests from a pool of submitted outlines after meeting with potential supervisors.
During this placement you will present a written synopsis of the background to a research project and develop a series of different molecular and cell biology experimental approaches to investigate a research problem relevant to chronic disease and inflammation. Alongside enhancing your research and analysis skills, this module will equip you the transferable skills that will be beneficial for your future.
- How to present a written synopsis
- Experimental design and the importance and nature of controls
- Data analysis
- How to extract principal findings and present them in a logical and coherent way
- 20 hours of seminars
- 10 hours of project supervision
- 365 hours of supervised lab time
- 205 hours of independent study
- Poster presentation (10%)
- Supervisors report on lab performance (35%)
- Dissertation, 15,000 words (55%)