Classical and Post-Classical Latin
Module code: AH2027
Module co-ordinator: Professor Sarah Knight
The Latin language and its literature are an important part of the intellectual, historical and literary traditions of European culture. This module will give you a basic understanding of the grammar and mechanics of the Latin, enabling you to approach translations in a critical and informed way. Understanding the Latin foundation of English can also improve your English language skills!
- 10 one-hour discussion seminars
- 10 two-hour language classes
- Commentary and analysis of a short Latin text (translation provided), 1,000 words (25%)
- Thematic essay, 2,500 words (50%)
- Exam, 2 hours (25%). This will test your translation skills. You are allowed to use a dictionary and a reference grammar.