The Spanish Civil War in Literature and Film
Module code: SP2023
This module aims to set the Spanish Civil War and its aftermath in its historical, literary and cultural contexts. It will analyse the divisions and tensions that the War generated via the reading of selected texts and films of the period and relate them to the social and political backdrop. On successful completion of this module you will be able to: understand the history of the period, evaluate critical writing on the set texts/films, give effective oral presentations on selected themes and communicate ideas coherently in written form using an appropriate academic register.
- Historical background to the Spanish Civil War
- Visual responses to the Spanish Civil War (posters, painting, photography)
- Filmic and literary responses to the Spanish Civil War
- Aftermath of the Spanish Civil War
- Legacies of the Spanish Civil War