Entering the Field
Module code: MU7007
This is a practical module designed to consolidate your learning during the course.
It is composed of two elements: an exhibition-based project and field school investigating the art ecologies of a major city. The first of these involves a curating project where you'll work either with a historic collection, such as the Arts Council Loan Collection or with contemporary artists, which may involve collaboration with an external organisation such as Leicester Print Workshop. Each year we change the venue and our partnerships.
The field school is a research-focused project during which you'll study the creative, historical, geographical, political, economic and social fabric of a major city or cities in order to understand the different negotiations and performances which constitute an urban arts ecology.
- Liaising with artists and external bodies
- Selecting and curating artworks
- Developing interpretive and marketing strategies
- Field investigations of art institutions
- The study of art performances, their contexts and purposes
- Consideration of the social significance and sustainability of art institutions