Module code: AR7528
This module explores the nature and scope of the various sources of evidence – textual and archaeological, for the study of classical landscapes and the social use of space. Divided into four sections, the modules covers both urban and rural landscapes, as well as investigating the social significance of space and place, and the economic, political and cultic functions of landscape.
- Nature and scope of various sources of evidence.
- Analysis and research of primary and secondary source materials (both archaeological and textual).
- Principle developments in the study of ancient landscapes, and current approaches to landscapes in the classical world.
- Application of research skills and methodologies.
- Evaluating competing theoretical understandings of urban and rural landscapes, and the importance of understanding both within their historical and cultural contexts.