The Molecules of Life – An Introduction to Biochemistry and Molecular Biology
Module code: NT2004
'The Molecules of Life’ will provide a comprehensive introduction to the basic chemical principles underpinning biochemistry, and an overview of the structures of biological macromolecules and their components. From the basic mechanisms of DNA replication, transcription and translation to gene expression and control in prokaryotes and eukaryotes, this module will describe how these processes and mechanisms influence genetic expression and the regulation of metabolic processes in prokaryotic and eukaryotic cells. This module will encourage you to consider the relationship between the structure and function of cellular components in cells.
- The chemical principles behind biochemistry.
- Structure of biological macromolecules
- DNA replication, transcription and translation
- Gene expression in prokaryotes and eukaryotes
- Relationship between protein structure and function
- Cell metabolism and its control
- Enzyme kinetics