Module code: MU7520 (double module)
You'll be dealing with the many and varied aspects of managing resources in heritage organisations including people, collections, information and space. The module will equip you with a broad and rounded set of principles as a way of grounding your knowledge and future work in this area.
Starting with the idea that heritage is both made and un-made through the actions of people, the module introduces a philosophical approach to resource management. You'll look at many of the current issues and challenges that comprise this side of heritage work, along the following three strands: managing organisations and how they work, managing objects and sites and managing relationships with audiences and funders.
- Strategic planning
- Vision and values
- Ethical approaches to heritage and heritage management
- Heritage conservation
- Managing and supporting staff and volunteers
- Risk assessment and management
- Visitor studies
- Collections management
- Marketing, communication and audience development
- Managing external relationships
- Managing budgets and fundraising