Entering the Field
Module code: MU7007
This is a practical module designed to consolidate your learning during the course.
It is composed of two elements: a choice of a exhibition-based project or international field school in a major European city. The first of these involves a curating project where you'll work either with a historic collection, such as the Arts Council Loan Collection or with contemporary artists, which may involve collaboration with an external organisation such as Leicester Print Workshop. Each year we change the venue and our partnerships.
The international field school is a research-focused project during which you'll study the art ecology of a major European city. You'll look at the creative, historical, geographical, political, economic and social fabric of the city in order to understand the different negotiations and performances taking place.
- Liaising with artists and external bodies
- Selecting and curating artworks
- Developing interpretive and marketing strategies
- Field investigations of art institutions
- The study of art performances, their contexts and purposes
- Consideration of the social significance and sustainability of art institutions
- 1 hour of lectures
- 50 hours of practicals and workshops
- 42 hours of fieldwork
- 57 hours of guided independent study
- Assignment, 2,000 words or equivalent (100%)