Designing for Creative Lives
Module code: MU7006
This module looks at the art institution differently. Its focus is on public engagement and considers the role of art institutions in enriching lives. It follows our examination of curating by looking at designing for visitor experience and pays particular attention to interpretive approaches and the use of space. It challenges you to think about the diverse approaches that might be taken to displaying artworks, and calls for critical thinking to build effective visitor experiences.
This module argues for a vision-led and values-driven approach to the art institution. It sees the art institution as an instrument of change, which possesses social responsibilities that lead to engagement with social justice and human rights. It also considers the art museum as a site of protest and social activism.
A core element of this module is to consider how the art museum can be marketed, and can create real social change.
- Museum space, architecture and experience
- Building museums and structuring experiences
- Organisational vision, values and leadership
- Human rights, social justice and the art museum
- Activism, politics and protest
- Engaging audiences and interpretation
- Marketing the art museum