Mental Health Law
Module code: LW3451
While studying this module you'll examine the civil and criminal legal rules that regulate the detention, care and treatment of the mentally disordered. As well as considering the current law, you'll also consider the historical and social context within which the law has developed, and key philosophical theories in relation to mental illness.
Your own independent research will lead you to critically examine the law, identifying where it is inadequate.
- Defining madness
- Civil detention under the Mental Health Act 1983
- The Mental Capacity Act 2005
- Treatment of the Mentally Disordered
- Community Treatment Orders
- Challenges for mental health law
- 20 hours of lectures
- 4 hours of tutorials
- 126 hours of guided independent study
- Essay, 4,000 words (100%)