Understanding Surfaces in Engineering
Module code: EG7028
Surfaces in engineering are important – here we will develop an understanding of the important factors in processing experimental results and data, and develop an understanding of the implications of the results with particular relevance to surface engineering and optimising properties such as wear resistance.
We will also explore the experimental techniques relevant to determining the mechanical properties of surfaces. This will be specifically targeted at developing experimental test methodologies and good experimental practice relevant to an engineer.
- Mechanical properties of surfaces (24 hours)
- Indentation testing
- Scratch testing
- Reflected light microscopy
- Residual stress in coatings
- Introduction to SEM, advanced SEM theory
- Introduction to X-ray microanalysis, theory of X-ray microanalysis
- Coatings tribology