Great Greek Monuments
Module code: AH3082
This module examines the social and political back-stories to the monuments set up in the Greek world. You will hone your skills in how to use material culture as a historical source, focusing on monuments large and small, and from as far apart as Sicily and Afghanistan. Through weekly thematic studies, you will discover how objects, such as portrait statues, temples, victory monuments and garden ornaments, can illuminate the people who made them and the times in which they lived.
- Evidence of Greeks abroad, and foreigners in Greece
- Signs of political resistance and capitulation
- Showing-off by ‘ordinary’ citizens
- The role of statues in ancient medicine
- Reconstructing lost colossi