The Dynamic Biosphere
Module code: GY2434
This module looks at the general ecological and biogeographical concepts by considering the spatial and temporal distribution of species, as well as the inter-relationships of physical, chemical and biological processes within the biosphere. It covers the evolution of living organisms and issues of biodiversity.
The module begins with a one-week fieldtrip to the Lake District. This will build upon your knowledge gained from Landscape-Ecosystem Dynamics and Evolution of the Earth System in year 1, and would combine well with the Neotropical Rainforest field course in year 3.
- Evolution and Speciation
- Concepts in Biogeography and Ecology
- Basics on biochemical cycles (e.g. Nitrogen and Carbon cycles)
- Population of species and their communities
- Principles in Island Biogeography
- 19 hours of lectures
- 6 hours of practical classes and workshops
- 3 hours of tutorials
- 30 hours of fieldwork
- 92 hours of guided independent study
- Laboratory report (25%)
- Group poster presentation (75%)