Earth Science in Education
Module code: GL3105
If you're passionate about communicating geology and other sciences in a classroom setting, this module is for you!
Following training, you will complete a placement in a local school, gaining first-hand experience of teaching geology or a related subject at primary, secondary, or post-16 level.
Each experience is different, but typically you will begin by taking a supporting role in the classroom. You will then take a leading role for a particular aspect (the 'Special Project') where you will plan and deliver your own teaching material. This is an excellent module, regardless of whether you're thinking about teaching as a future career or just looking to develop your organisational and interpersonal skills.
Please note: places are limited, and there is a selection procedure that begins in the spring of your second year.
- Safeguarding in the classroom
- Planning and delivering effective lessons
- Critical evaluation of the pedagogic literature
- 10 hours of practical classes and workshops
- 30 hours of placement
- 5 hours of project supervision
- 105 hours of guided independent study
- Written report (60%)
- Presentation (40%)