Micro to Macro: From Rock Properties to Plate Tectonics
Module code: GL1102
This first-year module takes you on a journey of discovery about our world. How do we really know what we think we know about Earth?
A few hundred years ago everyone knew the world was flat, a few decades ago everyone knew the continents didn't move, today everyone knows that our Earth is in constant motion, but we are still learning how and why... imagine what you might know tomorrow?
This module teaches you about the scientific concepts and methods that have enabled us to learn what we think we know so far, and that point the way to future discoveries. At the same time, you will develop and gain confidence in essential numerical skills.
- Earths shape and topography
- Seismic waves, earthquakes and faulting
- Magnetism and palaeomagnetism
- Plate tectonics
- Gravity measurements and gravity anomalies
- Heat transfer
- Fluid flow
- Rock and fluid mechanics.
- 18 hours of lectures
- 45 hours of lectures
- 87 hours of guided independent study
- Practical (20%)
- Multiple choice questions (10%)
- Exam, 1½ hours (70%)