Module code: EN7526
In this module you'll discover how we recognise and use distinctive types and styles of language in different situations and across different media, whether spoken, written, digital or multimodal. You'll explore how factors such as communicative intention, politeness and indirectness affect our use of language. You'll also explore how power is conveyed (explicitly or implicitly) through language, and look at the methods used to collect and study discourse data.
- Introduction to discourse analysis
- Genre, register and style
- Approaches and tools for analysing discourse
- Discourse and pragmatics
- Analysing talk (conversation analysis)
- Multimodal discourse analysis
- Critical Discourse Analysis (CDA)
- 5 hours of lectures
- 10 hours of seminars
- 2 hours of tutorials
- 5 hours of project supervision
- 128 hours of guided independent study
- Assignment, 3,000 word essay, including discourse analysis of chosen text (100%)
Or a joint assignment of 6,000 words when combined with EN7525 Language in Society.