Module code: EN7523
This module provides an introduction to the description of English grammar, based on pedagogic as well as descriptive models. The aim of the module is to improve your awareness of form-meaning relationships and the choices available in English grammar, and to enable you to apply this knowledge to your teaching contexts.
You'll have plentiful opportunities to practise grammatical analysis in areas such as phrase and clause structure, tense, aspect and modality. You'll also consider approaches to the teaching of grammatical form and their suitability in a variety of teaching contexts.
- The noun phrase
- Adjectives and adjective phrases
- Adverbs and adverbials
- The verb group (tense, aspect and modality)
- Sentences and clauses
- 5 hours of lectures
- 10 hours of seminars
- 2 hours of tutorials
- 5 hours of project supervision
- 128 hours of guided independent study
- Assignment, 3,000 word essay and grammar analysis (100%)