Young Learners and ELT
Module code: EN7517
This option module looks at the major issues connected with the teaching of young learners and English language teaching. You'll have the opportunity to consider a range of relevant educational principles, where you'll be examining a variety of teaching materials and textbooks. You'll be considering classroom teaching and experiences of young children learning, and relating approaches and methods for teaching children to social, cultural and educational contexts. You'll also explore the value of story-based language teaching.
- Growth of ELT for Young Learners
- Children as language learners
- How children learn a Second Language
- Learning through tasks and topics
- Learning through stories
- Approaches to bilingual education in the UK
- 5 hours of lectures
- 2 hours of tutorials
- 5 hours of project supervision
- 138 hours of guided independent study
- Assignment, 3,000 words (100%)
With the prior agreement of the module leader(s) the assessment for two option modules may be combined in a single submission of 6,000 words.