Materials Design and Development
Module code: EN7510
This option aims to provide a clear overview of the theoretical, pedagogical and commercial issues related to the development of language teaching materials. You'll focus particularly on the development of English language teaching materials, although the underlying principles are relevant for languages other than English. The option also aims to help you develop the necessary skills and knowledge to create, adapt and evaluate language teaching materials.
- Current issues in materials development
- The content of language teaching materials
- The evaluation of language teaching materials
- Writing language teaching materials
- The role of course materials: controversies and current trends
- The interface between theory and practice
- Developing your own materials
- 5 hours of lectures
- 2 hours of tutorials
- 5 hours of project supervision
- 138 hours of guided independent study
- Assignment, 3,000 words (100%)
With the prior agreement of the module leader(s) the assessment for two option modules may be combined in a single submission of 6,000 words.