Advanced Web Technologies
Module code: CO4215
Service-oriented computing and its main implementation as part of web services is at the forefront of industrial practice in software engineering. There are two major technologies supporting WS development: Microsoft’s .net (which we will use in this module) and Java. One crucial aspect of service-oriented architecture (SOA) is the marrying of IT artefacts with business processes and objectives. In this module we will concentrate on business processes and their relation to services.
Service applications need to be executed in a scalable fashion; cloud computing provides one possible deployment architecture. We will consider the main business drivers and advantages for adopting cloud computing, and will study details of some cloud computing platforms with practical exercises based on the Azure platform.
- Fundamental ideas and standards underlying web service technology
- Concepts at the frontier of industrial practice
- Emerging standards and business processes
- Cloud computing
- 17 hours of lectures
- 3 hours of seminars
- 18 hours of practical classes and workshops
- 112 hours of guided independent study
- Coursework (40%)
- Exam, 2 hours (60%)