Text and Material Culture
Module code: AR7552
This module aims to familiarise you with the wide range of source material available for the study of classical antiquity, including literary texts, inscriptions, art, architecture, landscapes, coins and other archaeological finds. You will learn about the challenges and potential of working with different types of source material, and will be challenged to work in an interdisciplinary way with several different types of source materials to develop a nuanced perspective of the ancient world. Upon completion of this module you will be able to:
- Explore different types of source materials from the classical world.
- Develop key skills for the analysis of different types of sources.
- Appreciate the breadth of different source materials available for the study of the classical world, and their various strengths, limitations and weaknesses.
- Engage with interdisciplinary approaches to the study of the classical world.
- Sources portfolio, 3,000 words (40%)
- Project, 5,000 words (60%)