Computer Assisted Translation Tools
Module code: TS7033
Translation can be a long process that requires preparation and research. The use of CAT (Computer Assisted Translation) tools can make the process more effective and efficient for translators. In this module, we will learn how to use Trados (a widely recognised and used translation memory software) to produce a translation in a variety of technical areas as well as create a glossary and convert it into a termbase (a database consisting of concept-oriented terminological entries in a multilingual format). We will also explore different translation techniques required to translate different types of text effectively.
- 20 hours of practical classes and workshops
- 130 hours of guided independent study
- Translation using Trados, 1,500 words (25%)
- Preparation of a Trados project folder (25%)
- Translation commentary, 2,000 words (50%)