Principles of Geophysics
Module code: GL2108
Imaging physical properties within the Earth provides essential information for finding natural resources, identifying natural hazards, and understanding the planet we live on.
In this module, you will learn the mathematical, physical, computational, and practical fundamentals of geophysics. You will design geophysical surveys and carry out measurements using a variety of different geophysical instruments. You will learn how to analyse these measurements and how to relate them to the subsurface.
At the same time, you will study the theoretical principles of the different techniques and acquire the necessary mathematical tools. This will give you the understanding that is required for a wide range of careers in geophysics.
- How to design a geophysical survey
- Performing geophysical measurements and analysing the results
- Theory of the main geophysical methods
- 18 hours of lectures
- 36 hours of practical classes and workshops
- 96 hours of guided independent study
- Exam, 1 ½ hours (40%)
- Computer practical (20%)
- Coursework (40%)