Lecturer in Midwifery
- Part-time Lecturer – MSci Midwifery with Leadership
- +44 (0)116 229 7924
- School of Allied Health Professions, George Davies Centre, Leicester, LE1 7RH
This is Helen’s first post as a lecturer in midwifery which she is undertaking part-time while undertaking a PhD at the University of Leicester. She has a healthcare career spanning three decades of service within the NHS having initially trained as an adult nurse where she worked in Neuro Intensive and Hospice Care before becoming a midwife in 2001. Helen is passionate about the delivery of safe, compassionate woman-centred care, and is equally committed to improving the staff experience of delivering intelligent healthcare.
Helen was awarded a National PhD Fellowship in 2019 researching ‘The role of visual management tools for the coordination of teams in healthcare’ sponsored by The Healthcare Improvement Studies Institute (THIS) which is directed by Professor Mary Dixon-Woods. She is being supervised jointly by Dr Nicola Mackintosh Associate Professor in Social Science Applied to Health (SAPPHIRE), and Dr Nicola Bateman Associate Professor in Operations Management (School of Business).
- 2020: MSc Quality and Safety in Healthcare - University of Leicester
- 2014: MSc Health (Midwifery Studies) -University of Northampton
- 2001: BSc (Hons) Midwifery- Oxford Brookes University
- 1996: Diploma of Higher Education in Adult Nursing- Coventry University @ Worcester College of Higher Education, Hereford and Worcester School of Nursing
- 1992: Diploma of Higher Education in Education (Art and Design) - Rolle College, University of Plymouth
- Elliott-Mainwaring, H (2020)Human factors review of a safety-critical system in a pandemic MIDIRS Midwifery Digest 30:4 pp 462-468.
Elliott-Mainwaring, H (2020) Can healthcare managers learn to lead? MIDIRS Midwifery Digest 30, (3) pp 319-323.
- Elliott-Mainwaring, H (2020) Who is ultimately responsible and accountable for patient safety in maternity services? MIDIRS Midwifery Digest, 30 (2) pp 187-191.
- Elliott-Mainwaring, H (2020) How do power and hierarchy influence staff safety in maternity services?: A Narrative Synthesis’, Unpublished Dissertation, Leicester, University of Leicester.
- Elliott-Mainwaring, H (2014) 'Are we meeting the needs of long-term antenatal admissions in our maternity unit? Unpublished Dissertation, Northampton, University of Northampton.
- 2019 PhD Fellowship University of Leicester:The role of visual management tools for the coordination of teams in healthcare /MSc Quality and Safety in Healthcare University of Leicester. Funded by The Healthcare Improvement Studies Institute (THIS). Value £150K.
- 2014 MSc Health (Midwifery Studies) 2014 University of Northampton. Funded by Learning Beyond Registration -Health Education East Midlands. Value £1.5K.
- Nursing and Midwifery Council
- SAPPHIRE Research Group, University of Leicester
- Editorial Board: MIDIRS Midwifery Digest
- Axelos Prince 2