Postgraduate research applicants

What if I can’t access an English test?

We are aware that there has been a great deal of disruption to English testing in a number of countries and that in the case of closures test providers are working to offer additional tests where possible as test centres reopen. You should keep up to date with developments and updates offered by your test provider in your local area.

You may be able to satisfy our requirements by offering alternative evidence. View a full list of the English qualifications which the University recognises.

You can meet our requirements by joining one of our Pre-sessional courses. If you would like to join one of these, we can assess your English skills via our online Leicester Pre-sessional English Test.

What if Visa Centres are closed?

If you are due to commence your studies at Leicester in the next few months and are concerned about travelling please contact for the latest information.

My School/University is closed what should I do?

We are in close contact with Schools, Partner institutions, the British Council, Agents and international awarding bodies and will make every effort possible to minimise disruption for those prospective students who find themselves affected by school or University closures.

Please contact the Admissions team at if you have any concerns about your school closure, the cancellation of exams or any difficulties you may be having in terms of obtaining paperwork.

What if I can’t get hold of transcripts or degree certificates?

You may not at this time be able to provide all of the documents we have asked for, such as transcripts or references. If this is a problem for you, please contact your admissions team at for the latest information.

What should I do if I need to defer my PhD start date?

If you need to defer your PhD start date please email your request to Please include your name, application ID number, the reason for the deferral request and the date you would like to defer to and we will seek approval from your academic department.

Can I study remotely?

If you are due to start your PhD in the next few months and it is difficult for you to travel to the UK at this time or for health reasons you may be shielding or prefer not to be on campus at this time but are still keen to start your PhD study.  If this is the case you may, depending on your type of research, be able to start your studies remotely at home for your first Semester and then come to campus at the start of the following Semester.  If this is something that you would like us to consider for you please email us at and request your first Semester to be carried out remotely and we will contact your academic department to check if this would work for your particular research.