Terms and Conditions
Terms and Conditions for remote learning courses – Academic year 2020/21:
You should print a copy of these Terms and Conditions or save them to your device for future reference.
- Before enrolling on a language course consider your personal commitments and circumstances, including your workload and study commitments, to make sure that you are able to complete the course.
- If you are unsure about a language or level you are welcome to attend any of our remote ‘drop in sessions’ before courses start (timetable available on: www.le.ac.uk/languages-at-leicester). or contact us for further details by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Enrolments are processed on a 'first-come, first-served' basis – remote learning courses are limited to a maximum of 10 learners per course. Enrolments are acknowledged and processed upon receipt of full payment. Enrolments without payment will not be processed. Enrolments are submitted via the enol now button on the course webpage.
- Fees are payable in advance. The University of Leicester (“University”) regrets that it cannot offer drop-in or pay-as-yougo courses, nor do we offer refunds for any classes that a participant is unable to attend.
- Where possible our courses are taught by the same tutor and at the same day/time throughout the course. However, the University reserves the right to change a tutor or day/time at its sole discretion.
- The University will not accept responsibility for unforeseen changes in a participant's circumstances that may prevent participation. The University will consider exceptional circumstances as per the Refund Policy set out at Clause 10.
- Should classes fall on Bank Holidays these will be rescheduled - it is possible that the course shall be extended the to recoup the Bank Holidays.
- Learners must be over 18 years old at the start of the course. Learners over 16 years old can enrol on language courses subject to submitting, at the enrolment stage, a written agreement from their parents or legal guardian. The University reserves the right to accept Learners under 18 years old.
- Enrolling to a Language course does not grant the participant University of Leicester student-status; participants are considered visitors to the University. Student ID cards are not issued and participants are not granted access to University facilities or library services.
- Refund Policy
- Cancellation - Should the participant wish to cancel their enrolment on the course, they may do so within 14 days of purchasing a course online in accordance with the Consumer Contracts (Information, Cancellation and Additional Charges) Regulations 2013.
- 10.2 Such cancellation should be notified to the Languages at Leicester department in writing by email.
- Withdrawals and refunds
- The University will refund a participant's fees in full provided a withdrawal request is received by L@L within 14 working days of purchasing a course online, and that the service period hasn’t yet started
- In accordance with the Consumer Rights Act 2015 and any amendment thereto (for further information please consult (https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/consumer/changed-your-mind/cancelling-a-service-youve-arranged/), an administrative and/or teaching fee could be applied if a withdrawal request is received after 14 days of purchasing a course online, and/or the service period has started.
The administration fee is £20.
- Service period starting dates:
- Term 1 - Service period starts 5 October 2020- Term commences 12 October 2020.
- Term 2 - Service period starts 11 January 2021 - Term commences 18 January 2021.
- Term 3 - Service period starts 26 April 2021 - Term commences 5 May 2021
- Exceptional circumstances for withdrawal, refund and deferments
- Requests for withdrawal and refund received after the withdrawal & refund deadlines will be considered only in instances of exceptional circumstances and may be subject to pro-rata status.
- Changes in residence or employment, personal income, personal circumstances or wrongly evaluated study or work workload and commitments are not considered exceptional circumstances by the University.
- Request for a full or pro-rated refund should be made in writing to Languages at Leicester. Re-fund is subject to submission of satisfactory third party evidence (e.g. a doctor's note).
- Deferments: Deferments are only offered when students withdraw from a course due to exceptional circumstances (as described under section point 12).
- Cancelled courses
- If the University cancels a course and is unable to offer a suitable alternative, then a full refund will be given. No administrative fee will be charged.
- Courses are subject to demand and require a minimum number of students to take place. If a course doesn’t reach the minimum number of students required to take place, the University will announce whether a course is going ahead or it is cancelled as follows: The first announcement will be 48 hours prior to the starting date of the course; if necessary*, a third announcement will be issued 24 hours prior to the starting date of the course. If the University needs to take a decision within the last 24 hours prior to the starting date of the course, it will be announced to those enrolled in the course as soon as practically possible in advance of such course starting. * because the minimum number of students hasn’t been met
- Changes to the date or time of a course
If the University makes a change to the date or time of the course and the participant is unable to attend due to the change, then a full refund will be given. No administrative fee will be charged.
- Single session cancellations
If a single lesson is cancelled, the University will endeavour to make up for the lost session by offering alternative date and/or times. If this is not possible, a pro-rated refund for the cancelled class will be granted. Cancellations for reasons outside the control of the languages department or the University (e.g. weather conditions or a security alert) will not be granted a refund. Single session cancellations are not considered as changes to the date or time of a course and will not invoke Clause 14 of these Terms and Conditions.
- Limitation of liability
- Nothing in these Conditions shall limit or exclude the University's liability for:
- death or personal injury caused by its negligence, or the negligence of its employees, agents or subcontractors; or
- fraud or fraudulent misrepresentation.
- Subject to clause 16.1:
- the University shall under no circumstances whatever be liable to the participant, whether in contract, tort (including negligence), breach of statutory duty, or otherwise, for any loss of profit, or any indirect or consequential loss arising under or in connection with the courses and or the provision thereof; and
- the University's total liability to the participant in respect of all other losses arising under or in connection with these, whether in contract, tort (including negligence), breach of statutory duty, or otherwise, shall in no circumstances exceed the amount of the fees paid by the participant to the University.
- The terms implied by sections 3 to 5 of the Supply of Goods and Services Act 1982 are, to the fullest extent permitted by law, excluded from these Terms and Conditions.
- This clause 17 shall survive termination of the participant’s contract with the University.
- Nothing in these Conditions shall limit or exclude the University's liability for:
- Data Protection
- The University will use the personal information provided by the participant to:
- provide the language course;
- process the payment for enrolling on the language course; and
- inform the participant about similar products or services that the University of Leicester provide, however the participant may stop receiving these at any time by contacting the University at the following email address: email@example.com
- L@L will only share personal details with external awarding bodies (such as Instituto Cervantes - DELE exams; Institute of British Sign Language - BSL accreditation; and the CCI Paris Ile-de-France - DFP, Business French Diplomas) when students willingly register to undertake these assessments. The exact information shared with those institutions will be included in the registration forms.
- L@L’s students have the right to obtain confirmation as to whether or not their personal data is being processed, and, where that is the case, access to the personal data and processes undertaken according to the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR).
- Disputes and complaints
- Should the participant have any complaints, please notify the University as soon as is reasonably practical using the contact details provided below: Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Full details of the University of Leicester’s complaints procedure can be found here: http://www2.le.ac.uk/offices/sas2/regulations/appeals-complaints/complaints
- Governing Law and Jurisdiction
- These Terms and Conditions and any dispute or claim arising out of or in connection with these Terms and Conditions, or their subject matter or formation (including non-contractual disputes or claims) shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the law of England and Wales.
- The University of Leicester and the participant hereby irrevocably agree that the courts of England and Wales shall have exclusive jurisdiction to settle any dispute or claim arising out of or in connection with these Terms and Conditions or their subject matter or formation (including non-contractual disputes or claims).