Graduation Hardship Fund
Students who find that the cost of a graduation ceremony is a barrier to attending may apply for support from the Graduation Hardship Fund. Students whose application to the Graduation Hardship Fund is successful will receive a contribution of up to £30 to their graduation gown hire and/or up to £50 towards travel costs from the University.
- Only students who have been invited to a University of Leicester graduation ceremony in Leicester and have confirmed their intention to attend are eligible to apply.
- Only applications received by the deadline indicated below will be considered.
- Applications will be assessed in line with Hardship Fund criteria and may be prioritised where eligible applications exceed available funds.
Students who wish to apply for support from the Graduation Hardship Fund should submit an application. (If you are experiencing any issues, please visit the student support page and select the 'Forms' icon.) The deadline for applications for July 2023 graduation ceremonies will be confirmed in due course.
Applications will be assessed by the Student Welfare Service in line with the eligibility criteria above and students will be notified of the outcome of their application.
Students will be expected to hire their gown and organise travel arrangements ahead of the ceremony. This Fund is a contribution to a student’s travel and/or gown hire costs and payment will be made after the ceremonies, when the student’s attendance at the ceremony has been confirmed.
- The hardship payment is a contribution to a student’s travel and/or gown hire costs. It cannot be used to pay any other supplier or for any cash equivalent.
- Students who are successful in their application will receive payment when their attendance at the ceremony has been confirmed.
- Offers of a hardship payment are not transferable to other graduands.
- Offers of a hardship payment cannot be deferred to a later ceremony.
- There is no appeal process against decisions for this hardship payment.
- The Graduation Hardship Fund has a limited annual budget. The award of payments to applicants that meet the eligibility criteria will be subject to the availability of funding.
- Applications should evidence travel costs already incurred or to be incurred, and where possible gown hire bookings made, and that all reasonable measures have been taken to limit the costs of travel. Fund allocations will be made within the limits of available funding, according to need and proportional to the costs of travel, and are likely to form a contribution towards but not cover the full costs incurred by the student. Students will need to meet the remaining costs of their travel and/or gown hire themselves.
- Hardship Fund payments are to support costs incurred directly by the graduating student; travel costs for family members or friends who may be attending graduation ceremonies as guests will not be supported.