Mechanics of materials
Our work in developing lightweight structures, smart coatings and insulation improves the performance and quality of materials available to industry. Leading this research is a group of highly-respected researchers using state-of-the-art equipment and facilities - our world-renowned Mechanics of Materials Research Group.
The Mechanics of Materials Research Group carries out cutting-edge research by integrating the latest experimental and computational technologies. Combining expertise in experimental, analytical and modelling techniques has given the group a strong international reputation in:
- Understanding evolution of microstructures and defect formation in casting, powder processing and semi-solid processing
- Coatings technology, specifically hardening surfaces and stress testing
- Supporting manufacturing with a particular focus on the transport sector
- Evolution of microstructure in high temperature materials for power generation
- Computational methods for multi-scale modelling to predict materials' capabilities.
- Surface engineering, surface contact and tribology
- Forensic engineering
- Sintering science and technology
- Tissue engineering and orthopaedic fixations by modelling degradation of bioresorbable devices
The state-of-the-art £1.5 million Advanced Microscopy Centre, directed by Professor Sarah Hainsworth, provides specialist services to industry, which includes loaning microscopes with technical support, in-depth analysis, imaging and micro-analysis of components as well as consultancy and collaborative research.
This enables companies with limited facilities to access the latest cutting-edge equipment, helping them to develop and grow.
Another leading Leicester facility is the Materials Technology Integration Centre (MaTIC), which includes:
- Raman spectroscope
- X-ray tomograph
- Sharpness equipment
Our computational work benefits from ALICE - a new High Performance Computing (HPC) cluster, purchased through a £2 million award.
Services to industry
The group offers a variety of electronics engineering services to industry, including:
- Printed circuit board design, assembly and inspection
- Cable harness manufacture
- CnC machining
- Rapid prototyping
- Additive manufacturing
The Advanced Microscopy Centre offers the following services:
- Microscope session with full technical support
- In-depth analysis with expert support
- Images and/or micro-analysis of components
- Expert witness service