Festival of Careers
The Festival of Careers is a month long celebration of employment and further study opportunities and the transition into working professional life. Bringing together employers and Leicester students under one marquee to meet, network, and engage. The Festival regularly attracts over 2,000 students, and is the largest careers activity on campus during the academic year.
The Festival is the university’s flagship careers event, and takes place over three weeks in October, with fairs, talks, workshops and employability sessions known as ‘fringe events’ to help students explore their future options. It is a chance for employers to meet the talent at Leicester and showcase the opportunities that they have open. As one of the most diverse universities in the UK students of the University of Leicester can offer a wealth of experience, talent and fresh thinking for your business.
The Festival is also an opportunity for SMEs to learn more about the support on offer from the University, particularly in the form of recruitment support and potential funding for placement students. Joining us at the Festival is a great way of starting that relationship.
The Fringe is a schedule of presentations and workshops with a specific theme to provide students with an insight into different sectors and steps in the application process. We welcome employers to put themselves forwards to deliver a session.
This is an opportunity to engage with the students in another setting away from the stands of the fair – a chance to network, chat and really get across what it is that you would be looking for in your ideal hire. This could be in the form of a mock assessment centre, a workshop, a business game, you name it! Use this as a chance to boost brand awareness, and start creating the pipeline for your next student or graduate hire from the University of Leicester.
The Career Development Service
The Festival is organised and run by the University's Career Development Service, which aside from the Festival works with students throughout the year to improve employability and develop skills, while engaging with employers to come onto campus to promote their brand and opportunities that they have. We are able to offer tailored recruitment services to organisations, particularly SMEs, such as application screening, shortlisting and interview hosting, so please do get in touch to work with us further throughout the year, and expand your presence on campus after the Festival.
- “Excellent work from companies providing insight, useful tips for application, personal background talks (showed it’s not impossible to apply somewhere)”
- “This was a really great way to see what opportunities are around and just getting to talk to people. I learned so much more this way that just looking on the internet.”
- “Amazing experience with a variety of different opportunities.”
- “The number of students at this event is a huge positive. Obviously it was well advertised. We also had high numbers of students talking to us throughout the day. The interest of the students was great, all of which were studying relevant courses.”
- “The quality of candidates who had done their homework were really engaging. Very very impressed. The Career Development Service have been absolutely brilliant and supportive throughout.”