Energy Research Accelerator
ERA – Hydex, Energy Research Accelerator, UoL Lead.
For more info contact, Dr Harold Ruiz (Head of Group)
- Enabling a place-based collaboration between regional universities, the Midlands Engine and other organisations, building long-term partnerships between regionally based researchers, businesses and civic organisations.
- Working with the Midlands Engine to draft the Ten Point Plan for Green Growth, and a Review of Nuclear and Related Industries in the Midlands. These are helping to shape regional energy strategies.
- Provide cutting-edge services and access to facilities for some of the most urgent energy challenges.
Achievements & Deliverables:
- ERA is a partnership of eight research intensive Midlands universities plus the British Geological Survey. Over 1,000 companies are working with ERA partners, undertaking R&D and commercialising products.
- £60m investment from Innovate UK, which attracted a further £120m of industrial and university investment that has been used to create cutting-edge research facilities and demonstration projects around the Midlands.
- The ERA Industrial Advisory Board includes 12 senior representatives from industry including Siemens, ITM Power, Engie, EDF, Cadent, Centrica, National Grid, Renewable Energy Association.
- ERA Skills and Doctoral Research Programme provides a holistic energy-related skills provision to develop high quality energy workforce; to create a diverse talent pipeline to secure the UK’s position as a leader in energy research and innovation; and to facilitate knowledge transfer between researchers and industry to help accelerate the downstream impact of ERA-related research.