An overview of working on campus
Since the end of the initial lockdown, some of us have returned to work on campus as necessary in the buildings with appropriate Covid-safe measures being implemented. Meanwhile, many of us have continued to work from home and will be doing so for a while to a varying degree.
Following the UK government’s roadmap to ease the Covid restrictions, the University is carefully planning its phased return to more normal operations. Over the next few months, more activities and facilities should be made available to staff and students where we can do so safely, in accordance with the government guidance.
This document provides guidance and information regarding the measures the University has put in place to ensure the health safety and welfare of our staff, our students and anyone that they may come in contact with. This guidance is likely to change in response to further government advice and the progress of COVID-19, so please ensure you regularly check the COVID-19 pages of our intranet site for the latest available information. For those of you who want a more detailed view of your obligations, the formal policy document ‘UHSP 42: Working Safely during COVID-19 (log-in required)’ is available on the Health and Safety Services Web Pages.
General advice to minimise risk associated with COVID-19 is as follows:
- Where colleagues can work from home, you should be supported and encouraged to do so.
- Colleagues must maintain social distancing, including when greeting others, and this includes avoiding shaking hands.
- Wash hands regularly with soap and water for a minimum of 20 seconds.
- Coughs and sneezes should be covered with a tissue and disposed of immediately (into your elbow if no tissue) followed by the washing of hands.
- Vulnerable workers should be supported in working from home and only return to work following a suitable assessment.
- If you begin to display symptoms, of COVID-19 whilst you are at work, please think both of your own and colleagues' health and safety. Go home, and inform your line manager. Stay at home and follow Government guidance regarding self-isolation and do not return to campus until your period of self-isolation is complete.
You should also not come to work if a member of your family in the same household is symptomatic. Again follow Government guidance regarding self-isolation. Naturally, if you are feeling unwell before setting out – stay at home.