What should I do if I am showing symptoms of COVID-19?

The most important symptoms of coronavirus (COVID-19) are recent onset of any of the following:

  • a new continuous cough
  • a high temperature
  • a loss of, or change in, your normal sense of taste or smell (anosmia)

If you have any of the symptoms above, you must immediately self-isolate. Stay at home and arrange to have a test to see if you have COVID-19.

Let other members of your household know as soon as possible.

You must also let the University know, using this form, as soon as possible.

Your line manager will contact you. They will establish where you have been around campus, and who you may have been with. They can then put appropriate measures in place and take any further action required.

What should I do if I have been teaching a student who has COVID-19 symptoms?

If you have been in close contact with the student, you should self-isolate in line with the latest Government advice and you must fill in this form.

If you develop any symptoms you should follow Government advice in respect of your household and isolation.

What should I do if I suspect a student hasn't been following the guidelines?

Breaches of COVID-19 safety measures taking place on University premises can be reported to Security (non-emergency: 0116 252 2023; emergency line: 0116 252 2888).

COVID breaches in our accommodation should be reported to accommodation@le.ac.uk or 0116 252 2428

If the breach is taking place off University property, contact Leicestershire Police via their online COVID breach reporting form. You should also email community@le.ac.uk after the incident has occurred.

What should I do if I live or work with someone who is now self-isolating or is symptomatic?

You do not need to self-isolate unless you have been in close contact with the person, since a point two days before they developed symptoms, or if you develop symptoms yourself.

What should I do if I am self-isolating but have teaching commitments?

Discuss with your line manager if you can switch to on-line teaching if you are not symptomatic or you are symptomatic but feel well enough to do so. If you are unable to teach at all then follow existing procedures in place in your area for when you are absent and unable to teach.

Can I volunteer to support students in isolation?

Thank you so much for this offer. We are looking for volunteers to support our student call centre to support students in isolation, and for any incoming calls from worried parents/carers. If you are interested in supporting us in this way please give your name and contact number to staffhwb@le.ac.uk with a subject of “student isolation volunteering” and we will forward your name to those managing the call centre and they will be in contact.

What information can I give to concerned parents or friends?

None - you can direct concerned relatives to our FAQ page and our social media channels. If they have a specific concern about their son/daughter they should contact the Student Welfare team.

What should I do if I see negative comments online about UoL’s response to COVID-19?

If you see something of particular concern, contact communications@le.ac.uk. We recommend not responding directly!

Can I volunteer to support students in isolation?

Please do not reply. Just forward any request from the media to press@le.ac.uk and our Press team will handle it.

Can research students who are involved in teaching run seminars remotely?

Research students employed to teach can continue to run seminars and online practical remotely. The module convenor should ensure that if a research student will run seminars remotely they have appropriate equipment and permissions within Blackboard to ensure they can run sessions online using audio and video and are able to access the course materials from home.

Can research students who are involved in teaching run seminars remotely?

You should discuss this with your line manager.

I'm vulnerable/live with someone vulnerable, can I stop attending?

If your role requires you to work on campus then a risk assessment will have been completed to minimise any risk to your safety whilst on campus. This risk assessment also includes questions about how you are traveling to work to again minimise the risk. If the risk is low then then please be assured that attending work is as safe as the need to shop or attend for medical appointments. If you remain anxious please do call Validium on 0800 358 45 68 who will be able to talk though your anxieties.

How can we distinguish students with poor attendance from students in isolation?

Schools are notified when a student has submitted the online form confirming that they are self-isolating. The Student Engagement Policy sets out student engagement expectations, along with the role of the School in supporting and monitoring student engagement with both online materials and activities and on-campus teaching events. Students who do not engage with their studies will be contacted by their School to determine what support is required.