Postgraduate research applicants

At the University of Leicester we have PGR starts that are due to commence in April, May and June/July. In light of the recent escalation of Covid-19 we feel that now is not the best time for new students to undertake International travel nor to enter the University.

This is to protect both yourself and other members of the University community and ensure we meet the Government guidelines on social distancing.

After considerable consultation we have taken the decision defer all PhD start dates until to the 28 September 2020 and all students will be issued a new offer.

If you have any concerns or queries please contact

What if I can’t access an English test?

We are aware that there has been a great deal of disruption to English testing in a number of countries and that in the case of closures test providers are working to offer additional tests where possible as test centres reopen. You should keep up to date with developments and updates offered by your test provider in your local area.

You may be able to satisfy our requirements by offering alternative evidence. View a full list of the English qualifications which the University recognises.

You can meet our requirements by joining one of our Pre-sessional courses. If you would like to join one of these, we can assess your English skills via our online Leicester Pre-sessional English Test.

What if Visa Centres are closed?

We are constantly reviewing the situation and are aware that visa centres in some countries have been closed for some time and that others may be subject to closure in the future. If you are due to commence your studies at Leicester in March, April or May please contact for the latest information.

You will also find valuable information on the UK Council of International Student Affairs website.

My School/University is closed what should I do?

We are in close contact with Schools, Partner institutions, the British Council, Agents and international awarding bodies and will make every effort possible to minimise disruption for those prospective students who find themselves affected by school or University closures.

Please contact the Admissions team at if you have any concerns about your school closure, the cancellation of exams or any difficulties you may be having in terms of obtaining paperwork.

What if I can’t get hold of transcripts or degree certificates?

You may not at this time be able to provide all of the documents we have asked for, such as transcripts or references. If this is a problem for you, please contact your admissions team at for the latest information.

What should I do if I need to defer my PhD start date?

If you need to defer your PhD start date please email your request to Please include your name, application ID number, the reason for the deferral request and the date you would like to defer to.