Online English and British Culture Programme
The Online English and British Culture Programme is ideal for students of any academic background who wish to improve their English skills and learn about British culture in a friendly and supportive online environment.
Aims of the Online English and British Culture Programme
The main aim of the course is to develop students’ ability to communicate in English in everyday situations. The course focuses on all four language skills with a particular emphasis on enhancing speaking and listening skills. In addition, students will learn about British culture, traditions and heritage.
Why join the Online English and British Culture Programme?
- Improve your everyday and academic English skills, particularly speaking and listening.
- Experience the study environment of a British university.
- Improve your study skills in an academic and friendly online environment, adding to your CV.
- Meet other students, including University of Leicester students during the online social events.
Course description and contents
The Online English and British Culture Programme is a three-week course consisting of both live online classes and guided independent study. The live classes will take place between 07:30 and 11:00 GMT (16:30 and 20:00 JST) each weekday and attendance at these is compulsory. There is some flexibility in the scheduling of the independent study. The course concludes with an assessed online presentation.
English classes will cover the following areas:
- Communication in everyday situations.
- Developing presentation skills.
- Awareness of natural speech patterns in English and pronunciation development.
- Self-reflection and recording of useful language.
- British culture, focussing on topics such as food, art, media, literature and history.
English Club is an informal discussion activity in small groups, allowing students to explore a light-hearted topic and exchange ideas. The social events are fun online activities.
- Course dates: 8th to 26th February 2021
- Application deadline: 15th January
- Payment deadline: 22nd January
- Registration deadline: 1st February
- Participants are expected to have a minimum English level of IELTS 3.5 or equivalent. Alternative English qualifications will be accepted or we may be able to test your English. Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.
- Participants must be aged 18 or over.
- Participants should have access to IT equipment with a microphone, webcam, and stable internet connection.
- £850 per person
- Payment is required in full by the payment deadline to secure your place on the course.
- 15 hours per week of live video classes or events
- An estimated 10 hours' independent guided study per week
- All study materials
- A certificate of attendance
- Tutor feedback
- Access to University of Leicester online facilities, including the award-winning David Wilson library
- Up to 22nd January - Full refund
- 22nd January to 7th February - Half refund
- 8th February onward - No refund