RSC Widening Participation and Outreach Project
Development, delivery and evaluation of context-based learning widening participation activities for schools.
This longitudinal research study is led by Dr Barbara Villa Marcos in collaboration with Professor Paul Cullis, Professor Emma Smith and Dr Dylan Williams. The Chemistry Department at the University of Leicester has been funded for four years by the Royal Society of Chemistry to work with Year 8 and 9 pupils in the local area, in order to encourage them to think about their future and to inspire them to fulfil their potential by considering all the options available to them throughout their education.
Throughout the two years that pupils are involved in the project, they work in small teams performing extended investigation experiments based on some of the research themes of the Chemistry Department (forensic science, atmospheric chemistry, green chemistry and the chemistry of life).
Find out more about the RSC Widening Participation and Outreach Project.
Salters’ Festival of Chemistry
- Target year group: Year 7 and/or 8 (in teams of four)
- Number of places available: Up to 20 teams
- Location: University of Leicester
- Contact: Dr Barbara Villa Marcos or see the Festivals of Chemistry website
The University of Leicester is host to the East Midlands heat of the Salters’ Festival of Chemistry. Teams from participating schools battle it out for a place in the final with two practical challenges, one set by Salters and the other by the University. This is always a very competitive event and the judges have the hard task of choosing the winners. In addition to the main competition, students enjoy an exciting chemistry demonstration and lecture.
- Exciting hands-on practical chemistry challenges in a university lab
- An amazing chemical demonstration
- Prizegiving ceremony with prizes for winning schools
- Fun prizes and certificates for all participants
- The chance to meet your local RSC Education Co-ordinator
- Networking opportunities with like-minded colleagues
- Continuing professional development activities