These rules are in addition to the normal rules of use of the AIF and rules introduced by the University of Leicester for work during the COVID-19 pandemic.
Symptoms of COVID-19 include a high temperature, a new continues cough, loss of taste and smell, shortness of breath and/or fatigue. All touchable surfaces (microscope parts, joysticks, keyboards, computer mice, and other peripheral devices) are possible means of transmitting COVID-19. Transmission through the eye is considered possible.
- Users showing symptoms of COVID-19 or have been in contact with somebody showing the COVID-19 symptoms are not allowed to access the facility for a minimum of 14 days post exposure.
- Inform the manager of the AIF (me, krs5) that you are planning to start using the microscopes.
- If you are using a microscope in a different building than your lab is, you must contact the building manager before you can start working and after that every time you want access to this building:
- Only one user per microscope so rules of social distancing can be followed. In the Henry Wellcome Building it is one person per room. The PPMS calendar system is adapted accordingly.
- All users should wear face masks and fresh fitting lab gloves. Users should not touch bare surfaces without gloves. Gloves are provided in the microscope room. First step at facility entry: put gloves on, last step at facility exit: gloves off. Don’t enter with gloves you have put on in the lab!!
- Cover keyboard and mouse with cling film provided in the microscope room.
- Wipe eye-pieces before and after use with IMS. All users are encouraged to bring and wear their own (safety) glasses for further protection from virus transmission via the eyes. If you don’t wear glasses, you have to cover the eye pieces with cling film before you start using the microscope.
- When finished, remove cling film and wipe desk surfaces with IMS. Dispose of paper towel, cling film and gloves via the autoclave waste plastics provided. Don’t reuse your gloves.
- For image analysis the preferred option is to use remote access to the analysis computers.
As these are untested circumstances these rules might be updated at any time.